House of the Dragon, the long-awaited, first of many Game of Thrones prequel premiered on August 21 and watched by 9.99M viewers in the US alone, climbing up to 20M before the second episode even aired! I am one of those viewers catching the show as it’s released every Sunday, and after the first two episodes, all I can say is – what a comeback!
Welcome back to Westeros!
Ahead of the premiere, I decided to organize a watch party and decorated my living room to bring us back to Westeros. Whether it be back in Dragonstone, King’s Landing (The Red Keep, The Dragonpit and other locations) or Driftmark (which we never saw in the original Game of Thrones series), I hope I did a decent job in bringing my guests back to Westeros!
House of the Dragon Watch Party Ideas
There are countless blog posts and DIY ideas to make your own Game of Thrones-inspired foods and drinks which I skipped. I had a basic grazing board (fruits, popcorn, wine) for snacks in favour of a more minimalistic approach!
Here are a few items you’ll need to create your own House of the Dragon-inspired watch party!
- Daenarys Targaryen Dragon Eggs (official merchandise)
- Candles to evoke the Targaryens’ relationship with dragons and dragon fire
- Dragon silhouettes to evoke the sheer number of dragons at the height of Targaryen rule
- Fairy lights or LED lights (to reflect the Targaryen House colours)
- Fire and Blood – the official book behind House of the Dragon
- Targaryen sigil charms/pendant
Additionally, you can also add the following items to your House of the Dragon watch party:
- Targaryen banner with the dragon sigil (Black banner and red dragon)
- Official funko pop of the House of the Dragon characters
- Sigil banners of the Noble Houses of Westeros
- Replica of the Iron Throne
- Official Game of Thrones wines and alcoholic drinks (if you were saving them for it)
- Dress up as one of the Targaryens in the show
- A crown (either Aegon’s ruby crown or Jaehaerys and Viserys’ gold crown which are featured in the book)
What do you think of this simple House of the Dragon watch party DIY? It took one day to put together and since I already had two of the Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon merchandise (book and dragon eggs) at home and the rest came together on Saturday before the premiere.
Have you been following House of the Dragons since it premiered?